Omnicef is an antibiotic. It's generic name is Cefdinir. It falls in the category of drugs known as cephalosporin. It works against the bacteria in our body. It is a very potent drug that is very effective to kill many gram- positive as well as gram- negative bacteria.
Contraindications of Omnicef
There are many conditions in which you must not take Omnicef. Do not take Omnicef if:
- You are allergic to cefdinir or any other antibiotic like cefzil, cefaclor, cefpodoxime, cephradine, ceftin, keflex, cefazolin, cefadroxil, ceftibuten, cephalexin, cefuroxime, cefditoren, etc.
- Do not use it if you are allergic to penicillin. It may lead to severe side- effects.
Omnicef is a safe drug, but to ensure its safety, you must inform your doctor if you have:
- A history of any intestinal diseases like colitis
- Any kidney disease
- If you are undergoing dialysis
- If you have drug allergy, e.g., penicillin
Pregnancy and Omnicef
Omnicef is not known to do any harm to a pregnant lady or to the unborn baby. But, to stay on a safer side, you must inform your physician if you are loaded with a baby or planning to have a baby during the course of taking Omnicef.
It is also not known if Omnicef passes into the breast milk and harms the nursing baby. But, you are adviced not to take Omnicef if you are a nursing mother.
Side- Effects of Omnicef
There are a few side- effects attached to Omnicef. Some side- effects are not very serious. These side- effects resolve on their own. They do need any sort of medical attention. They are:
- Vaginal itching or discharge
There are a few serious side- effects attached to Omnicef. These side- effects need a strict medical attention. You must visit a doctor if you see any of these signs. They are:
- Allergic reactions manifesting as hives, difficulty in breathing and swelling on face, throat, lips and tongue. Consult your doctor if you see any of these signs.
- Watery and bloody diarrhea
- Pain in chest
- Seizure (convulsion)
- Unusual bleeding
- Dark colored urine
- Yellow or pale skin
- Flu symptoms
- Body aches
- Weakness or confusion
- Sore throat
- Red skin rash
- Blistering and peeling of skin
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain
- Short breath
Drug Interactions with Omnicef
Omnicef interacts with a few drugs. It may lead to some adverse side effects. It may interact with:
- Probenecid (Benemid)
- Mineral or vitamin supplements that also contain iron
If you take any of these medications, tell your doctor beforehand.