Rulide is an antibiotic drug. It is used to treat n number of bacterial infections. It belongs to the macrolide group of drugs. The active ingredient of Rulide is roxithromycin. It is effective against many gram- positive and gram- negative bacteria. It works by either killing down the bacteria or by arresting its growth and development.
Uses of Rulide
Rulide is used to treat bacterial infections of the body like:
- Acute pharyngitis (difficulty in swallowing or sore throat)
- Acute bronchitis
- Sudden exacerbation of chronic bronchitis
- Skin infections
- Soft tissue infections
- Non- gonococcal urethritis
- A bacterial infection that causes sores on the skin known as impetigo
Side- Effects of Rulide
There are a few side- effects attached to Rulide. These side- effects are very mild and do not require strict medical attention. They vanish by themselves in some time. The side effects of this medicine include:
- Vaginal thrush manifesting as increased vaginal discharge, sores and itching in vagina.
- Oral thrush manifesting as white, furry sores on tongue and overall mouth
- Abdominal pain
- Altered taste
- Loss of appetite
- Ringing in ear
- Itchy or red skin
Contraindications of Rulide
There are a few conditions where you must not take Rulide. Rulide is contraindicated if:
- You have a severe hepatic issue.
- If you are allergic to roxithromycin
- If you are allergic to other macrolide antibiotics like clarithromycin, azithromycin or erythromycin.
- If you are allergic to any other ingredient of Rulide.
- Rulide is strictly prohibited for use if you use ergot alkaloids for migraine like Migral, Ergodryl, Cafergot, Dihydergot, etc.
To be on a safer side, you must inform your doctor if you have a history of any hepatic problem (hepatic cirrhosis with jaundice or ascites) or any renal problem like impaired kidney function.
Pregnancy and Rulide
Your doctor must know if you are pregnant while taking the course of Rulide or if you plan to become pregnant. It is generally contraindicated for use during pregnancy.
Rulide also passes into the breast milk. It may harm the nursing baby. Thus, you must inform your doctor if you breastfeed a baby.
Drug Interactions with Rulide
There are several drugs that affect the working of Rulide. They may also lead to some adverse effects. They include:
- Ergot alkaloids
- Astemizole and terfenamide
You must inform your doctor if you take any of these drugs.